Search This Blog

Sunday, July 8, 2012

How I Prevent a Meltdown....

As is the rest of the country, the heat around here has been BRUTAL.  We have been in the 100s, which is breaking records from what I hear.  It's so hot, last week I left for work at 7:00 am, got in my car and it said 88.  Are you freaking kidding me???  I HATE hot weather.  I'm not a "lay out in the sun, get my tan on, go to the beach kind of girl".  Never have been and never will be.  I don't even care about self tanners.  I'm pale, that's what color I was born with, and frankly I'm happy with.  Mainly because it keeps the wrinkles, blotchy peely skin, and skin cancer away.  Over the years, I've been trying different concoctions of products to help with my oily skin.  Which in this heat would be OILY skin.  I've found a combination that works really well for me.  Maybe it will work for you, or at least show you some products that you can combine with some of your favorites.  First up is my summer moisturizer:


Now why a moisturizer when the weather is so hot?  Its not really a moisturizer, it's a Shine Control Lotion, by Boots, which you can purchase at Target, or anywhere Boots is sold.  It's specially formulated to deliver oil free hydration with instant matte results.  (got that directly from the bottle lol).  All I know is it works.  I use half a pump, rub it in and on to the next...

Foundation.

sorry about the blur....i'm definitely no photographer

It's the Revlon ColorStay in 110 Ivory.  I accidentally bought the normal/dry skin one, so I'm sure it would be even better if you got one for oily skin.  This is apparently a dupe for Estee Lauder Double Wear, which I may try, although why pay $35 when this stuff is around $10.  It's got great coverage and doesn't feel like I'm wearing a mask.  Although I almost always wear foundation (I did purchase a great BB creme that I'll review another time), so I may not be the one to ask.....It lasts all day, doesn't turn colors after 8 hours and doesn't run, and doesn't break me out.  What more can you ask for in a foundation?

Setting Powder.


After I apply the rest of my make up, I use Rimmel's Stay Matte Pressed Powder in 004 Sandstorm.  This stuff is AWESOME!  I got it as a gift from my daughter in a little beauty bag she does for me now and then and I love it!.  I use a powder brush from EcoTools to put it on and it makes my skin very matte which I like.  It also helps to cover up my pesky large pores and it's very lightweight.  This is a must have, and I believe it's around $5-$6.

Setting Spray.


When I first heard about these, I thought...."so after I put all my products on to keep myself from being oily, you want me to spray something wet on it?"  I thought for sure it was going to make me look cakey, but that is far from the truth.  I'm currently using Urban Decay's All Nighter.  Let me tell you, this stuff works.  And works well!  When I'm done with everything, and ready to close down my make up station lol, I spritz it twice on my face and walk away.  And it sets everything and keeps it looking great!  I've also used the E.L.F. one and that one is nice too.  I believe the E.L.F one is $3-$6, and this one is $15 for a tiny bottle (this one is as long as my index finger.  They have a larger size also), so if budget is a factor, buy the E.L.F. one.  If you can splurge, get the Urban Decay.

Blotting Papers.


Normally I would be going through a pack of these a week, I kid you not.  With my new routine, I use maybe 2 at work and that's it.  These Neutrogena Shine Control Blotting Sheets are my favorites.  They work like they are supposed to, not a whole lot to say about them, but if you are oily, they are worth the money.  They run about $5, although I got mine for less then a $1 at Big Lots.  Score!!



And last, my M.A.C. Blotting Powder in Medium.  LOVE this.  Works well at getting rid of the shine and has virtually no color.  This goes everywhere with me.  Even when I downsize to a small clutch or over the shoulder bag for mall walking or festivals, this, along with the blotting papers go with me.  Can't leave home without em :-)

So there is my little "oil control" routine.  If you have any suggestions on anything you use to control oil, please leave it in the comments.  Thanks for reading, and have a great week everyone!

No comments:

Current Movie Favs

  • Anything with Jason Stathem in it
  • Napoleon Dynamite (no explanation needed)
  • The Strangers (one of the only scary movies that actually "scares me"
  • Julie & Julia (I do my cooking vicariously through this movie lol)
  • Under the Tuscan Sun (for the scenary if nothing else)
  • any "of the Dead" movies, i.e., Diary of the Dead, Day of the Dead, Shaun of the Dead