Search This Blog

Sunday, January 23, 2011

DVD Review: "Devil"

Before I start my opinion on this movie, it goes without saying that I'm not a professional movie critic.  I enjoy reading other people's views on movies, even more then the "critics", so I thought since watching movies is one of my favorite pastimes, I should at least include it in my blog and maybe someone will find it interesting...so here goes.

"Devil"
Starring:  Chris Messina, Bojana Novakovic, Geoffrey Arend, Logan Marshall-Green, Bokeem Woodbine, Jenny O'Hara, Jacob Vargas

Let me start by saying my favorite genre of movies is horror so this was right up my alley.  While it wasn't the best scary movie I've seen, it did keep me on edge and I ran top speed to get a bottle of water so I wouldn't miss anything.  (Best movie would have made me stop the DVD, lol).  Devil was written by M. Night Shyamalan...and if you've seen any of his other movies; Lady in the Water, The Village, or Signs, you know his movies usually have a supernatural kick to them.  And this was no different, although the supernatural happened to appear to be the Devil.  The movie started out with a voice (you figure out who that is later) talking about how his mother would tell him stories when he was a child about the Devil seeking out people who have sinned and making them pay retribution.  In this particular case, 5 people have been trapped in an elevator, each with their own sins which you find out about as the movie goes along.  At first, they are just stuck in an elevator...."push the emergency button, talk about how long it's going to take someone to get it started, blah blah blah".  It quickly movies from stuck in an elevator...to being STUCK IN AN ELEVATOR AND SOMEONE IS KILLING US!  Soon it's 5....4....3...2....1.  And then you find out why each person was there, and why the last person is left, and who the "devil" is.  Usually Shymalan's movies are about a life lesson some where, or a morale to the story, and this is no different.  There is a slight twist to the ending (although I'm proud to say I figured it out early on) and the end does wrap up the movie, unlike some that leave you wondering...."umm, so that's it?"

The acting was fairly decent, the effects were low key, but nicely done.  It played just as nicely on our 35 inch screen as well as it would have on a big screen (ya know, as apposed to Avatar or Star Trek, which you gotta see on big screen).  After a day spent shopping, it was a nice Saturday night flick to pile up under a blanket, lights out, with someone to snuggle up to for those "jumpy" moments.

So there it is, my first attempt at critiquing a movie.  Which is harder then it seems if you are trying to get someone to watch it, but not tell them what happens.  So if you are now going to critique my critique...be gentle :-)  I'm going to give it a "Netflix" rating of 4 out of 5 stars.

And for those of you who haven't got on the Netflix bandwagon yet, I heartily suggest you do.  Best $9 bucks we spend each month.  Whoever invented it is a genius.  I've watched so many instant movies it's ridiculous.  I carry my laptop around with me when I'm cleaning to I can watch a movie at the same time, lol. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well I might have to watch this! We usually don't like too many of the same movies, but this one sounds good! Thanks for describing it so well....you know, I heard that Netlix is doing away with DVD's and it's all going to be instant movies. I guess a lot of people have a problem with that, but I think it's great! Less wait! As long as they have the new movies available right away, I'm all for it! Thanks for turning me on to Netlix too, I agree, it's money well spent :)

Current Movie Favs

  • Anything with Jason Stathem in it
  • Napoleon Dynamite (no explanation needed)
  • The Strangers (one of the only scary movies that actually "scares me"
  • Julie & Julia (I do my cooking vicariously through this movie lol)
  • Under the Tuscan Sun (for the scenary if nothing else)
  • any "of the Dead" movies, i.e., Diary of the Dead, Day of the Dead, Shaun of the Dead